Adventures of an American Seoul-Sister

Adventures and Observations of an American Seoul-Sister

Thursday, February 3, 2011

In the Land of Dragons: Stone Dragons

This is Part Two of In the Land of Dragons: Stone Dragons.  There are of couple of iron dragons in here, too.  If you are intested in seeing more South Korean dragons, please see last week's post called In the Land of Dragons: Painted Dragons. 

Most of the stone dragons I saw in South Korea were decorative posts for stairs or bridges.  I also saw a number of dragons atop stone pillars at many of the temples.


Dragon guarding a bridge at Gyeongbokgung Palace, Seoul

Another bridge dragon at Gyeongbokgung.
Many of the rooftops have these protective charms.  I think the dragon head may be iron. 
See the dragon in the top tile?   I'm pretty sure these are slate tiles.
This dragon tops a huge 10 foot tall  bell at Suwon Fortress.
Twin dragons commonly appear on these temple pillars.  This pic was taken at Tangeumdae Temple in Chungju.

More temple pillars at a countryside temple and burial mound site outside of Chungju.  The next few pictures show the twin dragon details of these pillars.





That's all the dragons I have for South Korea, but I've been snapping pics of Vietnamese dragons for my other blog:  http://www.vietnaomi.blogspot.com/.  I'm still collecting those pics, so it'll be awhile before I post them, but keep checking back. 

1 comment:

  1. My favorites are the last ones. That was my favorite spot near Chungju.

    ReplyDelete