Adventures of an American Seoul-Sister

Adventures and Observations of an American Seoul-Sister

Monday, February 6, 2012

Sitting on the City Walls

Arrived in Beijing Saturday afternoon.  I was able to take a subway all the way from the airport to within a couple of blocks from the hostel for only a couple of bucks.  Following the directions, I arrive in a neighborhood hutong (alley).  Traditionally, Beijing is a series of small, walled alleyways connected to each other in seemingly random order.  Doors in the walls connect the alleys to ancient courtyard homes.  So, I arrive in my hostel's alleyway, thinking "What the fuck!  I thought this was supposed to be a nice place." 





I weave my way around several turns until I finally spot a small sign marking a red door.  I knock and wait.  I ring and wait.  I panic with my little wheelie-suitcase in a strange, narrow Chinese alley and wait.  After a few minutes, a man opens the door, to my great relief, to a gorgeous hostel that was a privilege to call my home for a week. 

Sitting on the City Walls Hostel is an upkept traditional courtyard house decorated to offer a relaxing, very Chinese oasis for guests.  They have a decent menu, beer, wine, tea, internet...pretty much anything a traveler could want.  The host, Rick, is very informative and eager to share information about the city and how to get around in it.  Included in my stay where tickets to a Peiking Opera and discount tickets to other shows.  They also arranged my transportation to the Great Wall.  The best part is that they are centrally located to all the places a person could ever want to tour in Beijing and only a block from the Forbidden City. 












If you want to learn more about this hostel, visit their website:  http://www.beijingcitywalls.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment