Adventures of an American Seoul-Sister

Adventures and Observations of an American Seoul-Sister

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Ta Phrom

After touring Angkor Thom, I tuk-tuk even deeper into the jungle to the best temple yet. Ta Phrom is entered via a half-mile walk through the jungle. It, too, is a smaller temple than Angkor Wat. What is truly impressive about Ta Phrom is that it is becoming overgrown with encroaching jungle. So, giant tree roots twist around crumbling stone ruins.  Around every corner is an amazing view.

I met another little boy at this temple. He work by selling woven wicker bracelets to tourists at the pitiful price of $1 for 10 bracelets. I watched him as I ate my lunch in front of the temple. He tried to sell to tourists who swatted at him like a bug, or shooed the dirty little brown boy from there own shiny, pink, affluent children. Shameful! When he wasn't selling, he was just like any little boy, playing on bits of the temple as if it were a jungle gym. He gobbled up the fruit I gave him with a huge smile.










One last thing: Can anyone give me advice on international adoption? Seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment